Welcome to the Home page of the Independent Fiscal Office (IFO). This page provides links to materials recently published or presented by the IFO. For a complete listing of publications and presentations made during the past year, please see the Releases page. If you would like to receive e-mails from the IFO when new documents are posted to this website, please sign up for our e-mail alerts. Click here to add your address to the list.
- Financial transactions tax. Letter discussing issues that should be considered when evaluating a potential state-level tax on the transfer of securities.
- Economic and Revenue Outlook. Director Matthew Knittel made a presentation at an event sponsored by the Pennsylvania Economy League and Greater Reading Chamber of Commerce and Industry.
- Updated revenue estimates for FY 2014-15 and FY 2015-16.
- Revenue Trends Report for April 2015. Prior Months are available on the "Releases" Tab.
- Monthly Economic Report for April 2015. Prior months are available on the "Releases" tab.
- Quarterly Revenue Review for the first quarter of 2015. Compares actual revenues to IFO estimates.
- Analysis of revenue proposals in the 2015-16 Executive Budget. The analysis addresses the estimated fiscal impact and tax incidence for each proposal. (Updated April 27 to reflect minor typograhpical edits.)
- Effect of school property tax limitations. This letter discusses the effect of Act 1, which uses an index to limit the ability of school districts to increase real property millage rates.
- Budget hearing materials submitted to the House and Senate Appropriation Committees for the IFO's hearings.
- Briefing on Pension Liabilities. Presentation to the Town Hall Meeting on Pension Reform by Deputy Director Mark Ryan.
- School property tax rebate estimates. This letter provides estimates for a potential proposal to give homestead owners school property tax rebates up to the statewide average school property tax paid.
- State and Local Taxes: A Comparison Across States. This report examines how Pennsylvania's state and local tax structure compares to other states.
- Impact Fee Update. This research brief provides an estimate of CY 2014 impact fee revenues and the corresponding annual average effective tax rate.
- Pennsylvania Gaming Trends. This research brief examines tax revenue trends for casino and pari-mutuel gaming and net profit trends for the lottery.
- Budget and economic outlook update. Presentation to the Greater Philadelphia Chamber of Commerce by Director Matthew Knittel.
- Mid-Year Update to the IFO’s revenue estimate for FY 2014-15.
- School property tax forecast - updated for fiscal years 2013-14 through 2019-20.
- Fiscal Implications of a York County School District Consolidation.
- Pennsylvania's Economic & Budget Outlook: Fiscal Years 2014-15 to 2019-20.
- State Economic Comparison. This research brief uses new data to examine the performance of the Pennsylvania economy and four adjacent states over a ten-year period.
- Quarterly revenue estimates for fiscal year 2014-15. Includes the General Fund, Motor License Fund and Lottery Fund.